with Bra Bundles.
In today’s day and age, living sustainably is essential to the longevity of the planet. But what is sustainability and what does a sustainable life actually entail?
Put simply, living sustainably means undertaking eco-friendly practices, limiting our waste output and avoiding products and practices that aid in the depletion of our natural resources.
In order to maintain the health of our planet for future generations, we all must choose to live a more eco-friendly existence and change our current way of thinking. There are three key areas of sustainability that need to be addressed — social, environmental and economic.
Social sustainability refers to a community or corporation developing processes, structures and frameworks that meet the needs of both current and future members. The aim of this is to create happy, healthy and liveable communities that provide a good quality of life for the members.
Environmental sustainability is critical to the future of generations to come. In order to be environmentally sustainable, there are three key factors that should be addressed.
- Renewable resources: A harvest shouldn’t exceed the regeneration of new crops and once harvested, another should be planted to take its place. The land shouldn’t be left unproductive or unable to be harvested in the future.
- Pollution: The waste generated by people and industries should never overpower the environment’s ability to remove or regenerate it effectively.
- Non-renewable resources: When non-renewable resources are used or consumed, it’s imperative that replacement resources are built or developed to take their place.
Economic sustainability is the ability of an economy to support growth indefinitely. This can be challenged by factors like population growth.
Why is sustainability important?
A lot of the most damaging practices are driven by greed and ignorance. Deforestation, pollution, landfill, mining and manufacturing can be extremely harmful and have a devastating effect on the earth’s ability to regenerate itself.
Industries and individuals need to take responsibility for the practices they support and start making smarter choices, otherwise our children and our children’s children will be living on a very different planet to what we know now.
Sustainability at Cake
Here at Cake, we’re aware and conscious of our environmental impact, not only as a business but personally as the individuals who run it. Because of this, we approach all aspects of our business holistically to ensure we have as little impact on the planet as possible.
How do we do this?
- All of our Cake Maternity brand products have been designed with waste minimisation in mind, developing patterns and processes that utilise fabrics and limit offcuts — most offcuts we do have are utilised to create our bra inner slings! Several of our bra styles are seamlessly knitted in a tube and are therefore nearly 100% waste-free.
- All of the materials and accessories used on our Cake Maternity brand products are Oeko-Tex 100 Certified, this means that no harmful dyes or chemicals have been used. Making our garments better for mum, bub and the planet.
- With 90 solar panels on the roof, our head office and warehouse runs 100% on Australian sun (which is also used to power our CEO’s electric car!).
- We believe in quality over quantity, so all of our pieces are crafted from high-quality fabrics and accessories. It’s important to us that we create and curate a range of durable and long-wearing items that stand the test of time and don’t just end up in landfill. It’s safe to say that fast-fashion isn’t our thing, we’re slow-fashion and we’re proud of it.
- We’ve eliminated single-use plastics from the business, ensuring that we don’t pass any on to our customers or our retailers. Our products come from the factory and are stored in biodegradable poly-bags and we are working to reduce the need for them entirely.
- We’ve reduced our packaging where possible, from manufacturing to customer. Any packaging that our customers or retailers receive is either reusable or 100% recyclable, using soy-based inks, recycled tissue paper and eco gummed stickers wherever possible.
- We are keen recyclers and use separate recycle bins at our warehouse for paper/documents and cardboard.
- We’re constantly looking for ways in which we can reduce our waste within the warehouse and offices, ensuring we recycle and reuse where possible. Moving forward, we’re striving to add more eco-friendly and recycled fabrics to our range and minimise our packaging even further. For us, this is an ongoing pledge and one we are incredibly passionate about.
We understand that this is an ever-evolving space, with new findings coming to light every day. So, we want you to know that we’re committed to doing our bit for the environment and will continue to keep improving our practices to ensure the wellbeing of Mother Nature.
Eco-friendly Cake Products
While all of our styles are Oeko-Tex Standard 100 compliant, there’s a few key pieces that we feel really represent our sustainable ethos.
Butter Recycled Maternity Legging
These seamless maternity leggings are made with super soft and flexible recycled nylon (old fishing lines, to be precise!) and they gently grow with you throughout pregnancy, and hug your body postpartum.
“These leggings are perfect for me, and I love that they\'re made of recycled materials! Plus, for the quality and craftsmanship, the price can\'t be beat. Big fan.”
Milk Bamboo Sleep Bra
This irresistibly soft sleep bra is made from sustainable bamboo which is super breathable and non-restrictive. Perfect for those first few weeks postpartum (and beyond)!
Tutti Frutti Nursing Bra
This luxuriously soft and wire-free bamboo viscose bra offers delicate lace detailing that’ll take you from day to night, pregnancy and beyond.
Cotton Nursing Pads
Easy to wash and extremely durable, these reusable organic cotton and hemp nursing pads are a sustainable choice, for the environment and your wallet.
Don’t miss: 11 Eco-Friendly Must-Haves For New Moms
Like this post? Follow Cake Maternity on Facebook to get the latest updates!
LIKE WHAT YOU READ?
Sign up to our newsletter & you’ll never miss a post!
Plus you’ll get up to 20% OFF with our Bra Bundles offer as well as being the first to hear about new products, offers and get tips + tricks for pregnancy, postpartum & beyond.