A lot of women eat healthy through their pregnancies, but tend to neglect their bodies postpartum.
This can be due to lack of time, energy levels being low and or giving into cravings.
Breastfeeding combined with a regular exercise routine and a balanced healthy diet will assist in a healthy weight loss.
Try to avoid fad diets, as most of them tend not to work long-term.
What should I be eating?
Choose a range of foods from the 5 food groups to help ensure you eat a well balanced diet:
Choose low fat options. Low fat milk, cheese and yoghurt are all rich in calcium and protein.
The benefits of eating Dairy:
- They will help to keep your bones strong
- Help to boost your energy levels
- Assist in weight loss
Choose low fat options such as turkey, skinless chicken, fish, lean red meats and eggs.
The benefits of eating Protein:
- Protein can help boost your metabolism and increase fat burn
- It also helps to reduce your appetite keeping you fuller for longer
- Protein helps to build muscle and strength
- Protein is rich in iron. Iron is essential to help maintain a healthy body
Fruit and Vegetables
Eat a variety of fruit and vegetable daily.
Pick fruit and vegetables from a wide color spectrum and eat the skins too if possible.
The benefits of eating Fruit and Vegetables:
- They will provide you with the much-needed nutrients to keep your energy levels high
- Boost your immune system
- Good for your complexion
- Fruit and Vegetables contain fiber. Fiber is essential to help ensure you maintain good digestion and will help to keep you regular
- Brightly colored berries contain high levels of antioxidants, which are great for your overall health
Carbohydrates are an essential part of a healthy well balanced diet.
Choose whole grain options such as whole meal breads, whole meal pasta, brown rice and high fiber cereals
The benefits of eating grains:
- Whole meal foods are low GI. Low GI foods help to keep your blood sugar levels stable, which means more energy for longer
- They keep you feeling fuller for longer, which means less snacking
- They help to metabolize fat more efficiently
- They contain fiber to help ensure you stay regular
Although fats are not technically a part of the 5 food group, healthy fat is important for our well being.
Good fats can be found in foods such as avocado, olives, fish, coconut, eggs, seeds, dark chocolate, cheese, olive oil, yoghurt and nuts.
The benefits of healthy fats:
- Good fats can help to lower your cholesterol
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- They can also help to improve your mood
- Trim your waistline
The key to a healthy existence and weight loss is everything in moderation, which means eating a variety of foods from the different food groups.
The secret is to combine exercise and healthy eating into your lifestyle and to build a good relationship with food.
Avoid over processed foods and opt for fresh options. Healthy cooking does not necessarily take longer nor is it hard.
Lastly and most importantly, it is important to remember that your body is recovering postpartum so you do need to be patient.
Disclaimer: Cake does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Any information published on this website or by this brand is not intended as a substitute for medical advice, and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional.